Monday, December 15, 2008

The First Week

Tuesday, December 9th, 2008

I'd been feeling out of sorts and slightly nauseous for a few days, but had put it down to rich foods eaten during our trip to Quebec City. When burping started occurring as frequently as breathing on Monday (!) I absentmindedly googled "burping pregnancy". Sure enough it was an early symptom for some women, so first thing Tuesday morning I took a home pregnancy test, still not really thinking I would actually be pregnant.
But there it was - the extra little pink stripe. Never saw that before.
Eric was already up getting ready for work and grabbing breakfast in the kitchen. I brought him back to the bedroom, and just handed him the stick - I was too emotional to speak.
Our whole lives had changed in those few minutes.

I couldn't wait for 9am so that I could call my nurse midwife (thankfully already a patient for well-woman care in her practice, which she shares with a number of female ob-gyns) and get an appointment for noon that day. Sure enough, she confirmed it, and we spent about an hour and a half going over my medical history and tons of info for pregnant women. Quite overwhelming! Still emotional, I almost burst into tears zipping up my winter coat when I was leaving, and made it to the car just in time.

That night we called our parents (first of course!), Grandpa, our brothers, and Mama O's best girlfriends in SA. All were excited and elated. I think it was worth the very late (USA) and very early (SA) calls!

Wednesday, December 10th, 2008

Our CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife), Kathy, wanted me to go for an ultrasound ahead of blood tests, so back I came to the office the next day. The ultrasound told us that Baby O was now 6 weeks and 4 days old, and wonder of wonders, the technician pointed out a little blinking spot on the little white blurb in the little dark sac, and said "There's the heartbeat". 7mm long, the size of a grain of rice (!) and there was a heartbeat already. How can anyone doubt a Creator?!

Well, now there was no question. I saw new life with my own eyes. We were most definitely pregnant.

Thursday, December 11th, 2008

Bloodwork day. Mama O hates giving blood, but at least there was no fasting necessary. Good thing, because I have been absolutely ravenous and needing to eat every couple of hours. Low-level nausea has now made a permanent home, and after giving blood (which was quick and painless thank goodness), I scooted off to Whole Foods to stock up on healthy goodies, and ginger cookies. I've been craving salad and eggs up till this point, and the thought of some foods are making me want to gag already.

Fatigue has also set in with a vengeance and I am profoundly grateful that I can set my own work schedule and do nothing if that is what is needed. I do not know how women do this when they have no other option but to go to work. They have my utmost respect.

Friday, December 12th, 2008

I went to the gym in the morning for some easy treadmill walking, but spent the rest of the day in bed, as per Papa O's orders. Having had a couple of days to process things, I was now ready to do some reading.

Freaked out wondering if I'd consumed enough foods over the past weeks to provide my baby with enough folic acid. Woke my mom up with this frantic call, and she (and others later) all consoled and encouraged me that it would probably all be fine. Papa O reminded me that evening of all the spinach and white flour I'd had over the past few weeks, and then I also remembered all the kale I'd eaten. I think it'll be ok.

Sunday, December 14th, 2008

We'd spent the past few days sharing our joyous news with family and close friends, and we were super excited to tell our church family, having done everything in our power to avoid the news leaking out ahead of the service. Now anytime a young married couple of child-bearing age goes up to the microphone during the open announcement time, the nudges and winking starts. So, we threw out a red herring by pretending that Eric had a Sunday School announcement (he's the SS Superintendent, which just sounds wrong when abbreviated) and he needed my help. We told the church that in the coming months the nursery caregivers should prepare for an addition. It was such a red herring that it took a minute before people realised that WE were going to provide that addition! But once realization dawned, folk were really happy, our friend Julian prayed for us, and one young girl commented that it seemed like it was raining babies at Living Water :).

We are so profoundly grateful to be a part of this wonderful, loving, supportive church family and cannot think of a better place to be pregnant and navigate the early stages of child-rearing. It also helps that there is also a midwife AND a doula in our congregation.
Plenty of people to ask for prayer, support, advice, and they are all willing to provide it generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment